Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Healthy Habits: Bentonite Clay

Hello, hello! 

Tonight I decided to make a mask with the Bentonite Clay that my mom bought. She brought it over and I put a little bit into a mason jar to make later. 
Well, I over underestimated just how much a little clay I would need for a face mask! I basically made half a mason jar of it. You add equal parts of water to whatever amount of clay (in powder form) you have. 

This smile ^ was before it hardened and I could barely move my face. It felt great. 
In the past, I've put masks on with Lord knows what kind of ingredients that were probably harming my skin rather than making it better, but I have never (I don't think?) used 100% bentonite clay for my mask. 
 Just thought I'd share some fun facts about my new love for Bentonite clay...



Info that I took from one of my favorite websites called Wellness Mama found here : Bentonite Clay: Health Benefits and Uses


Bentonite, also referred to as Montmorillonite, is one of the most effective and powerful healing clays."
* Bentonite Clay is composed of aged volcanic ash. The name comes from the largest known deposit of Bentonite Clay located in Fort Benton, Wyoming."

*Bentonite clay carries a strong negative charge which bonds to the positive charge in many toxins. When it comes in contact with a toxin, chemical, or heavy metal, the clay will absorb the toxin and release it’s minerals for the body to use. Bentonite also helps get oxygen to cells as it pulls excess hydrogen and allows the cells to replace it with oxygen instead.

*Bentonite clay is a common ingredient in detox and cleansing products. It has an alkalizing effect on the body and when taken correctly, it can help balance gut bacteria.
  • Examples for common reasons of taking Bentonite Clay are:
  • Digestive disturbances like acid reflux, constipation, bloating, gas, etc. (Kaolin clay was common ingredient in medicines like Maalox and Rolaids for years)
  • Helping with skin and allergy issues
  • To help provide minerals for the body
  • To help speed recovery from vomiting and diarrhea
  • Detoxification
  • In oral health preperations
  • Externally for all types of skin problems and to speed healing
Using for: 



  • On the Skin: Externally, I apply a paste of bentonite clay and water on any skin irritation like blemishes, insect bites, cuts, skin itching, or burns. I leave it on until it dries and wash off. This is said to be especially calming to skin itching from eczema, psoriasis, chicken pox, etc.
  • Skin Poultice for Bites/Burns/Cuts/Stings: For more severe issues, I create a poultice by putting a thick layer of clay on the skin and applying a wet gauze or cloth over it. I wrap the area and leave the poultice on, changing every 2 hours.
  • Face Mask: For smooth and healthy skin, I make a paste of bentonite and water and apply to my face as a mask (a similar mask is used in many spas). I leave on for 20 minutes and wash off. I typically do this once or twice a week.
  • Detox Bath: I sometimes add about 1/4 cup of Bentonite Clay to a bath for a relaxing detox bath that softens skin.
  • For Oral Health: Because of it’s excellent ability to bind to heavy metals and toxins as well as to provide minerals, I use Bentonite Clay in my Remineralizing Tooth Powder Recipe. It can even be used alone for brushing and is tasteless and relatively textureless.
  • Oral Rinse to whiten and remineralize teeth: Besides use the the tooth powder, I use Bentonite mixed with water as an alkalizing and toxin removing mouth rinse. I mix 1/2 teaspoon of clay in 1/4 cup water in a small jar with a plastic lid and shake well. Then, I rinse with the water for 1-2 minutes and repeat until I’ve used it all.
  • For Mastitis: I’ve created a poultice or mask of Bentonite Clay and water and applied externally to the area. I repeat as needed every hour until the infection is gone. I also take internally during infection along with Vitamin C and fermented cod liver oil.
  • For Baby Powder: Plain Bentonite Clay makes a very soothing baby powder for use when there is infection or redness. It can also be made into a clay “mask” to help speed recovery in this area.
  • For Morning Sickness: I took 1/2 tsp of Bentonite Clay in water during early pregnancy to ward off morning sickness. It helped with the nausea and helped me feel better. I checked with my doc/midwife first and was told this was fine. Check with your doctor or medical professional before using during pregnancy.
  • For Internal Cleansing: I drink 1/2 to 1 teaspoon most days in a cup of water. I combine in a glass jar with a plastic lid and shake until well incorporated. This has helped improve my digestion and also seems to give me more energy. Since adding this and getting gelatin in my diet or through Gelatin powder daily I also notice that my nails and hair grow more quickly.
  • For Pets: For pets that are sick, vomiting or showing signs of illness, you can add Bentonite to their water or mix and give orally with a dropper or syringe without the needle. I have seen several cases where this helped pets recover quickly from what could otherwise have been serious illnesses.
  • Though I have not needed to use for these reasons personally, I have read cases of Bentonite and other healing clays being used internally to help reduce radiation exposure, in alternative cancer treatments, and in MRSA infections. It is also said to greatly help in Parasite removal, though I have not tried this personally.





Eczema (Mark has this)


Mastitis (I got this while trying to learn how to breastfeed... ouch!)


Morning sickness (I didn't have any of this but know women who do)

Interesting stuff!

What you learn after the fact...
butttt it is never too late! Now I know, and hopefully I can help someone else too.

This is the one that came recommended and the one that my mother bought. It is about $7 and she probably bought it at Whole Foods. (Remember, a little goes a LONG way. You'll have this thing forever.)

And here I am after it hardened. I couldn't move my face so I decided to send scary pictures to my friends on SnapChat






Next time I will be taking a nice warm bath with the Bentonite clay to really allow for a good body detox. 
Do you all have any healthy rituals that you enjoy?  Comment if you do. As you can tell, I am always up for an all natural product to replace one I own that has harmful ingredients. 

XO
Christina 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts and feedback!
Thank you for taking time to comment.
XO