Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Our Lazy Sunday

I love Sundays. So far, ours has been quite relaxing.

Since Ava had a long day yesterday from the zoo and missed her nap, I had a feeling that she would need to sleep in this morning. She did. So Ava and I stayed home and Mark went off to church alone. 

He volunteers to play the drums for our church so it isn't unusual for him to go without us if need be. 

Ava and I hung out at home once she woke up. We made breakfast, watched some Sesame Street, played with Play-Doh, and planned tonight's dinner. 

We are having my mom over for dinner tonight so I am going to be making a whole chicken in the slow cooker. It is the second time that I am doing it since Mark loved it the first time I made it.
I'll add my recipe at the bottom of this post from my favorite new cookbook.

Normally, after we finish dinner and Ava is put to bed around 7:30, Mark hunkers down to answer work emails and starts prep work for the upcoming work week. I usually make us some hot tea and a dessert if we have it (I just made organic double chocolate brownies!) for us. While he works, I sit beside him and meal plan dinners for the week with my cookbooks/write up my grocery list so that he can have input on what he wants to eat.

Here are some pictures from today:
(2 days in a row for blogging! Go me!)

Instagram @christinamcguire

She wanted to do her own hair this morning. 

Instagram @christinamcguire


Once Mark got home, Ava and I had just started some fun in the sun. 



We got the pool fence installed earlier this week! Woohoo!





Side walk chalk fun



Loves her sunnies. 

Cooper Currington enjoying the sun with his pal, Ava. 

Mark capturing Ava's sweetness with me. Since being pregnant with Elle, Ava has been extra lovey with me.
I am eating it up. 





Playing dolls on daddy's legs


She loved dropping her dolls into the water and telling them to "kick kick kick!" like her swim coach taught her to do.

Did you notice that Ava got her first "boo boos" (scraped knees) at the Zoo yesterday? She is not very happy about it but is being a trooper and saying "aww better!"


Mark waxing his baby. I mean, truck...

Blogging on the front porch while Mark cleans his truck and Ava naps 


Happy Sunday! 



Tonight's Dinner is from 100 Days Of Real Food blog. Lisa Leake is the mama blogger and recently published her first book which I AM IN LOVE WITH. 

It teaches a lot of tricks to reading food labels upfront/ the differences in real food vs. fake, synthetic ingredients/ gives examples and charts to easily learn how to choose food without being fooled by "healthy claims" on the packaging like "reduced fat" "fat free" "Multigrain" "Ultra Pasteurized", etc. 

After that, it is followed by a ton of very simple, REAL food recipes. You will have most of those ingredients in your kitchen so it isn't like other recipe books that have you dreading having to buy 100 new expensive ingredients for one meal. These are back-to-the-basics ingredients like your great grandmother used...like the ones we should be using now! 




Recipe: The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne (red) pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 onion
  • 1 large chicken
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Combine the dried spices in a small bowl.
  2. Loosely chop the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
  3. Remove any giblets from the chicken and then rub the spice mixture all over. You can even put some of the spices inside the cavity and under the skin covering the breasts.
  4. Put prepared chicken on top of the onions in the slow cooker, cover it, and turn it on to high. There is no need to add any liquid.
  5. Cook for 4 – 5 hours on high (for a 3 or 4 pound chicken) or until the chicken is falling off the bone. Don't forget to make your homemade stock with the leftover bones!


Now, I am waiting for my beloved Vani Hari's, The "Food Babe", book to be delivered this upcoming week! 
Her 1st book ever! It is called The Food Babe Way and I plan on learning a TON with this one! I've had this baby on pre-order since December. 



Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday. 
XO
Christina 

2 comments:

  1. Love whole chicken in the slow cooker and roasted. I may try this as a run for some oven roasted chicken. Yum! Your Sunday is a lot like ours, we're hanging out at home and I love it! Enjoy your day! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, super simple! Also, last time I added a fresh herb blend that they sell at Whole Foods. It's a poultry blend with fresh thyme, sage, and rosemary (in addition to this recipe). So good. :)

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts and feedback!
Thank you for taking time to comment.
XO