Pages

Thursday, October 9, 2014

"You are the 1st person that has ever asked me that in 14 years!" - My doctor

Today. was. awesome. 

I had a routine pregnancy check up at my OBGYN's office which then turned into a lot of fun for me... 
Let me start off this post by saying that I absolutely LOVE my new OBGYN. He is very health conscious and an organic food loving person as well. He and his wife also own two popular yoga studios in Ft. Lauderdale, FL so it is no surprise that he is around a lot of health and wellness minded people all the time. His wife teaches classes still and so I have met her a couple of times. It is nice feeling like you have a little connection or common views on important things that matter to you especially when you are trusting someone with your baby's delivery.  

Okay, so after our routine heartbeat check, more blood drawn, and that lovely urine sample.... he asked me if I had any final questions before I left. I did. 

Me: Okay, please don't think I am crazy but I have a feeling you will not be surprised by my question since you're very open minded when it comes to natural health and this sort of thing.... 

Him: Oh no.. what's up? 

Me: Well, I know you mentioned my glucose testing is coming up soon and I don't feel comfortable drinking that orange syrup like I did with my first pregnancy. It isn't about the taste because honestly it isn't as bad as people make it sound. It is about the ingredients in it. I learned about the ingredients in that glucose syrup after I had my first daughter and I don't want to drink it again. 

Him: (Looking at me baffled) 

Me: I've heard that women ask their doctor if they can eat bananas instead or some kind of natural sugar rather than ingesting a bunch of genetically modified corn sweetener and other bad GMO ingredients. Would you be okay if I ate something more natural instead? 

Him: OF COURSE YOU CAN! Oh my GOD! You are the FIRST person to ever ask me that in 14 years. I hate to admit it but I never even thought twice about that! 
<Grabs a bottle under in the cabinet and peels off the sticker that covered the ingredients.
 I read him the ingredients and he looks shocked.>

Him: Wow! Well, I am so happy that you said something to me and now I know. Feel free to go to Whole Foods and buy some organic jelly beans made with real cane sugar or whatever you would like that has 50 grams of sugar. I am totally fine with that. 

Me: OH GOOD! Phew! I was afraid I would have no way around that. 

We laughed and I was literally doing an internal HAPPY DANCE. 

It gets better.

The lady at the front desk overheard us and asked me to tell her why I wasn't drinking the syrup because she was curious. I briefly summarized what I told him. She was 4 months pregnant and now didn't want to drink that either. My doctor came out again and we all had a good laugh. 

(OH! I almost forgot! The last time I had my appointment with him, he recommended a flavored fish oil when I asked him about that. He said he and his daughter took it and that it was delicious. Well, after I bought it, I started reading the ingredients at home because it wasn't organic and let's just say I am taking it back immediately... So naturally, during this "glucose syrup" chat I had with him I added in, 

Me:  "Oh, and I wasn't going to say anything but that fish oil you recommend to me that you and your daughter drink is a no go." 

Him: Oh no! Why not?! (Covering his face) 

Me: Well the ingredients in there are typically GMO if it isn't certified organic and so I am not drinking it. I am sure it tastes better than most fish oils but there's a reason it does! haha

Him: Oh no.....I swear, my wife is so much better at this stuff than me! You think it's okay because it is at Whole Foods... nope. 

I told him I'd bring him the name of the one my mom friend takes with her and her kids. It is flavored but done so naturally. 
He was genuinely grateful that I was honest with him and thanked me. 

Great day, huh?!?!

It gets better!
NO THANK YOU.
I will be eating bananas or organic jelly beans made with real cane sugar and not "flame retardant, artificial dyes made from petroleum, controversial preservatives, GMO corn sweeteners."


OK! After the OBGYN visit, I ran over to Whole Foods to pick up some ingredients for this "Thanksgiving in your crockpot" deliciousness that my friend Jessica made the other day. It was awesome and I need to make it for my family so I bought two night's worth. :) 

As I made a quick run through of the produce section, the gates of heaven opened up and angels sang when I bumped into....GUANABANA!!!! (or Soursop for my non latino friends) 
I started reading about the healing properties of Guanabana about two years ago. I kept reading about it having cancer fighting properties. I was already familiar with hearing the name and having it in smoothies that my abuelo would make me when I was young but I never, ever saw it in person. He would buy Guanabana that was frozen ( I later saw that was packaged frozen with GMO sweeteners like high fructose corn syrup.) Ew. 

So after asking every store and farmer's market that I went into about this fruit, I was told "no" or just given a blank stare as my answer. 

I FINALLY found the powerhouse fruit...fresh! I don't even know what I am going to do with it but if all else fails, you know I'll be making smoothies for me and Ava. I am bring it with us to Miami tomorrow when we visit my abuelo and abuela. I know they will appreciate it with me. :)  

This won't last long. (Whole Foods in Ft. Lauderdale.) 

Then, just as I think my day could not get ANY better....I find organic pumpkin pie coffee next to the organic pumpkin spice syrup that I add to my coffee. As you can see, I was the weird girl in Whole Foods smiling from ear to ear and taking pictures of these awesome finds. 

Happy at home :) My mom took a picture of me since I was so happy that I found my "unicorn" fruit that I started to think was only found in Cuba when my grandparents lived there or something.

And that was my day! My exciting days are made up of teaching people healthier ways and finding cancer fighting fruit.
#NerdAlert

(This soursop actually turned out to be spoiled already... see by the color? I didn't know since it was my first one. Good news though: I have had many after this one! :)


And tomorrow is FRIDAY! That is more great news!

XO
Christina


*** Here is a little something I read a while back about glucose syrup and what is in it (flame retardant, artificial dyes made from petroleum, controversial preservatives and GMOs) 

10 comments:

  1. I really admire that you have found and are following your passion. I continue to learn so much about health and wellness from your posts and blogs. You will no doubt change and improve lives with your endeavors, and your enthusiasm is inspiring. Your life seems idyllic and I wish you all the best with baby #2 :) --Heather Budnik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Heather! That means a lot to me... I really hope that I can continue to learn and teach others long the way. It really is incredible how simple healthy living is but how complicated it seems to be with our modern healthcare system and "medicine".
      When in doubt, trust the Earth! haha Thanks for reading my posts. Happy you enjoy them.
      XOXO
      Christina

      Delete
  2. We have a soursop tree if you ever want some leaves for tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He recommended the same fish oil to me. I got the vegan one instead... it is organic ;) Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy that you knew better! No surprise there you smart mama!

      Delete
  4. If I have a third I am NOT drinking that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I don't blame you....NO ONE SHOULD drink this stuff! Why should we when we can eat or drink something made with real cane sugar rather than toxic ingredients?! Ew.

      Delete
  5. I just stumbled upon your blog but I am 23 weeks pregnant and was going to have to do this soon. I had no idea there were alternatives! Thank you for opening my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that you found me! (and YES, there are always alternatives. You ALWAYS have a choice and say in the matter when it comes to your body and what goes in it. Happy that you enjoyed this post. :)

      Delete

I love hearing your thoughts and feedback!
Thank you for taking time to comment.
XO